Are your electrics safe? Check with an Electrical Safety Certificate!

On 1st December 2015 Scotland made Electrical Safety Inspections, including Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) and Electrical Installation Condition Reports (EICR's) mandatory for all properties rented out within Scotland from 1st December 2016.   This regulation was to include the property itself but also the communal areas of the building.


Although these regulations have not yet been brought in within England we here at Julian Wadden Estate & Letting Agents are sure that something similar to this Scottish law will be brought in, in the future. 


It is essential that all Landlords looking to rent a property out in England have a valid Gas Safety Certificate and an Energy Performance Certificate but the Government has said nothing yet about Electrical Safety Reports being mandatory.  Currently all Landlords in England have a legal duty to ensure that their rental property, and any electrical equipment provided, is safe before a tenancy begins and throughout its duration. They must ensure that the main electrical system is safe, e.g. socket, switches and light fittings, but they must also ensure that all appliances supplied are safe, e.g. cookers and kettles. 


The best way to check that your appliances and electric supply in your property is safe is to instruct your Letting Agent to carry out and Electrical Safety Inspection and then you can provide the report to the tenant.  These can be done annually and all reputable Estate Agents should be checking that Landlords have these in place.  If you do not have one you may be asked to sign a disclaimer, as we will be doing here at Julian Wadden Estate & Letting Agents as we have a duty of care to all tenants.

Categories: General